Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Boredom.

Today it finally hit. 

Boredom.

I got to work this morning and just kind of sat there.  I was really tempted to get on reddit.  I didn't want to read a book on my phone, we stayed just busy enough where I couldn't focus on learning code, and I just didn't want to play a game.  I finally mustered up the focus to learn some PHP code which whittled away at the time just slightly.  By lunch time I was pretty wonky.

My time was so eaten up with mindlessly consuming internet, that I forgot about all the interesting other things I could be doing.  I honestly didn't know what to do.  It's almost like being addicted to television.  You come home from work and immediately turn the thing on.  It sits perfectly positioned so that it can be see from anywhere in the living room.  In fact, if you look at home architecture since the late 1950's in America, you will see that where the old focus of the living room was the fireplace or a large bay window, it shifted to where the T.V. could be optimally placed to be seen by all.  Apartments are designed so that you can see over the counter island and see the T.V.  The TV has honestly changed the way we actually build our homes.  Do not doubt that in the near future newly built apartments and homes will be designed so that you can easily access broadband internet, view your monitor, and access the internet from almost every room in the house.  I'm not talking about "smart houses" where you tap a panel and can start the air conditioning in a different room, or start drawing a bath, I'm talking about easy access Netflix and Huffingtonpost from the seat of your toilet....that doesn't involve your smartphone.

I got home from work and I actually paced my house for a bit because my normal habit of browsing the internet the minute I get home was interrupted.  We don't have cable so I couldn't just turn on the TV and vegetate.  I honestly didn't know what to do with myself.  I went and sat outside for a bit in the sun.  I didn't get the urge to cook anything so that didn't take up the early part of my evening.  I really didn't know what to do with myself. 

My normal habit of browsing the internet is gone, so I honestly didn't know what to do.  This is what the internet has done to me.  I don't know what to do with myself without it at points.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed that you've lasted so long! I'm going to be disconnected for three whole days this weekend, and I'm already starting to worry :) Keep up the effort!

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really enjoying your writing. I never gave architecture changes a thought, but after reading your post I looked around and realized that about the only place I couldn't see my TV was from the bathroom. Assuming I closed the door, which is totally optional when you live by yourself. I am also still snickering over the Beiber rant. Anyway, back to the subject at hand: I am 99% sure that I could not do what you're doing. I chew nails any time the power goes out or the cable craps out. So I sincerely wish you luck on this hard road ou're on. Maybe your successes will inspire me. :)

    - Maureen/Jasani

    ReplyDelete