Monday, April 4, 2011

Inadvertantly inatentive.

I apologize for the inconstant updates.  I have been asking my roommate to update the blog for me, but she has been busy and unable to upload my posts for me.

Alas, I will be having to crack the whip on her.

Saturday I actually did not spend it playing video games and developing bedsores on my behind in front of the computer.  It was warm and nice outside, very few clouds.  It was a Ferris Bueller kind of day.  Instead of immediately waking up and lusting after my internet, I decided to take advantage of the nice day and wash my car.  None of that ten dollars for five minutes of water stuff, but classic get outside and recreate an '80's music video with wet girls covered in soap.  Except for Playboy bunnies, a pasty white slightly overweight woman with partially shaved legs wearing soccer shorts.  Hey, I thought it was sexy in that sort of poorly lit home erotic photography of found internet picture sense.  You know, the kind that ends up on 4chan or something.

Well, I only got a quarter of the car washed before my roommate showed up with a cat for her fiance.  Wee.

We then went up to Sam's Club to buy unnecessary amounts of soda and frozen pizza.  Only a country like America could both suffer from egregious gluttony ala 20 pounds of M&M's for $15 bucks to be consumed covered in a cheese product sauce with hot wings, as well as the glorification of Holocaust thin supermodels and pro-Anorexia websites.  No seriously, there are websites dedicated to teaching you to starve yourself into kidney failure!  Screw Puritanical values, this is the good stuff that makes us the unwelcome cousin at the international picnic!

After that I finally succumbed to playing Grand Theft Auto IV, the game that makes moralistic nutjobs shiver in ecstatic fits of joy.  A game that makes Scarface look like a Pixar film in its violence, Hustler like Good Housekeeping in its sexual content, and more homophobia than a Senator taping his foot in an airport bathroom stall.  Everything Americans love to hate in public and love to love in private.  America's moral schizophrenia.

 Sunday we finally went to the Medieval Fair they hold every spring in our town.  This being the great state of Oklahoma, the wind was blowing at about oh...sixty miles an hour.  I ate my obligatory yearly fried Twinkie.  I hate Twinkies, but rolling them in batter and deep frying them then covering them in powdered sugar  is truly delicious in that six minutes off you life way. 

Later that day as I puttered through GTA:IV again my roommate who is part of the challenge behind this (she didn't think I could make it 30 days) asked if I had worked on any of the programing I have been wanting to learn for a while.  I confessed I had not.  She admonished me for it and actually told me to come home from work tonight with some coding done. 

That's what I spent today working on in my free time at work.  I managed to get the webserver to display simple messages and run some basic math, so I think I did alright considering that last week I didn't know how to do any of that.  I know any of you code monkeys won't be impressed, but hey, go to your boring meeting with your boring manager Rob.  Everyone starts somewhere.

I'm thankful my roommate admonished me.  When you have lost your own motivation, you need someone else to push you.  No one really can accomplish everything on their own.  All the great people of history had aides, spouses, teachers, peers, and pets to help them get through the day when they came home and lamented their failures.  They comforted them, cajoled them, licked their hands (I heard Empress Josephine was kinky like that), and took some of the stress off their shoulders.  So I'm grateful she is pushing me.

Now let's see what happens on day five.


















No comments:

Post a Comment